Thursday, August 14, 2014

Apple

Apple

The chased apple leads to the end
of the chase, and still, what you know
is you want it. Look at an apple
and you feel it in your hand, hold it
and know its taste, the end of summer.
Green of the weeds that split the street,
a color that cuts and pulls away.
Bowl of fruit, bowl of ridiculous fruit
ridiculous for how we place them all
together in the illusion of family,
apple on banana on orange,
all in a basket, maybe one green apple
that has tumbled free. For centuries
we try to get this right, and it becomes
a message: look at this fruit in front
of me, use my eyes, let all else drop
and hold onto that mouthful of nothing.

1 comment

  1. I especially like the weeds that SPLIT the street--how did I never see it that way before? And I like the phony family business. I've often suspected that bowls of fruit were so appealing to painters only because they held still for long periods of time. I'm not sure about "mouthful of nothing"--because it's the apple that escaped?

    I'm still trying to train myself to look at the art you link to. This print is quite something--provocative.

    ReplyDelete

The Storialist. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.