Monday, April 2, 2012

Strong Feelings

Strong Feelings

The body as realm. As veldt.
Which would make feelings

into weather, fast-moving
clouds, or frost, or heat

lightning, a flush of light
beneath the skin of the sky.

A storm could mean that God
is crying and also bowling,

sobbing and throwing strike
after strike. Or maybe He has

allergies. To us. We dangle
thoughts above ourselves

like fishing lures to draw out
a response and end up

feeding our feelings. We want
to be helpless to their strength.

5 comments

  1. "A storm could mean that God
    is crying and also bowling,

    sobbing and throwing strike
    after strike. Or maybe He has

    allergies. To us."

    This made me laugh. Great lines here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything hangs so perfectly beneath the announcement: 'The body as realm'. A delightful extended metaphor, incorporating even the possibility of God's being allergic to us! Witty and wise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your poem and I feel the pouring rain, steady and strong, beating hard against the skin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing God bowling in this poem. But I understand the crying, sneezing, and itching, too.

    Wonderful poem!

    The art made the song "Feelings" go off in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This poem just rolls...I love it.

    ReplyDelete

The Storialist. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.