Monday, September 28, 2009

Monday, September 28, 2009: Behance--Daniella Lehavi

Little Things

It's the little things that get me.

Someone says it, probably a woman,
while sighing and placing a tissue beneath
her lower lash line.

Her eyebrows arch steeply in sentiment,
and yes, reminiscent of a church steeple,
reverent, inconvenient.

It's the little things that get me.

She's explaining while watching a scene,
a small thing, replete with the ordinary
and yes, the tender: an ice cream truck
rollicking along the city street,
a man buying tulips, pink as polished nails.
The extra button to who-knows-what,
some sweater long since surrendered to time's unraveling.

We make it diminutive,
call it an object, a little thing,
so as to be capable of holding it,
holding onto it.

It's the little things.

2 comments

  1. My favorite:

    "Her eyebrows arch steeply in sentiment,
    and yes, reminiscent of a church steeple,
    reverent, inconvenient."

    Especially the slant rhyme of sentiment and reverent. I enjoy slant rhyme so much that I tend to over use it, actually. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It IS the little things that draw the tissue under the lower lashes. The little things have such poignancy. I saw two little girls today walking to school with their backpacks, about 5 and 7. I was grateful for the memory, yet I had to use the paper towel I used to wipe off the dew from the back windshield under my own lashes. Wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for mascara.

    ReplyDelete

The Storialist. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.